Saturday, January 22, 2011

Toddler Tantrums

Tantrums are wearing on my patience and trying my sanity.  I feel totally exasperated by them and I find myself dreading what small event (dipping my tater tot in his ketchup) might set off an uncontrollable and inconsolable episode.  I've read the books and the articles and sometimes I just feel like, "BUT THESE PEOPLE DON'T KNOW MY CHILD."  Even though it feels like it, I am positive I'm not alone here. 
Every kid is different and nobody can be an expert on Christopher except for Rob and I!  Some days -- like today -- I don't feel like an expert at all. 

Tantrum Tips:
*Prevention is key ::: knowing how to offset a problem before it happens is easier than trying to diffuse a full-blown tantrum
* Take a deep breath ::: sounds so simple.  Count to 10.  Empathize.  This is tough for them, too!
* Shake it out ::: Imitate your toddler...to an extent.  Flail your arms out a bit and shake off the stress.  Before you know it he/she will stop screaming, try to figure out what you're doing, and join in with you!
* Give YOURSELF a timeout ::: Put your toddler in a safe place where they can have some space.  Then set the timer, make a cup of tea, and just sit down and mellow out.  It's good for you both.
*Pray ::: You're not alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment