Wednesday, February 16, 2011

TUMS = Charley Horses??

It seems my heartburn has a direct correlation to my belly size!  Milk, anything tomato-ey, even water (how crazy!) has been setting off massive bouts of throat burning.  As a result I've been popping down more Tums over the past couple of weeks because it's the only thing that seems to help.  I've also been experiencing more middle-of-the-night leg cramps in my calves which have been pretty uncomfortable.  Until last night...last night was an involuntary, toe-pointing double doozy of a leg cramp in both calves that had me crawling around on all fours, crying for nearly 5 minutes 

                                                                           



=






I was looking up what exactly causes leg cramps / charley horses during pregnancy and found out some interesting things.  Sometimes they're just normal, can't help, baby getting bigger cramps and sometimes they can be caused by taking in too much "un-usable" calcium.  Aka Calcium Phosphate.  Guess what's one of the main ingredients in Tums?!  DING DING DING!  Calcium Phosphate.  Since I haven't been reduced to tears by heartburn (YET!) I've decided to cut back on the Tums and see if the leg cramps improve! 

1 comment:

  1. when I have lots of heartburn and take a few tums I tend to get charley horses in the night too....

    ReplyDelete